Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Inspiration: Christmas Tartan

 I don't know why, but Christmas and tartan are connected in my head.  Not all tartans, obviously, some are just the wrong colours.... Maybe it's the thought of tartan blankets.  Nice warm woolly tartan things.

I am not the only one, if you search Christmas Tartan online, there will a wealth of results.  There is even a Christmas Tartan which has been registered and the copyright is held by Tartans 4 Africa.  The registration states that the green is for Frankincense, red for Myrrh, yellow for gold and kingship.

Tartans used for Christmas decorations and clothing are generally red and green with some black.  The one I put together for this bracelet and brooch is red and green with black, but it also has white and gold.  To me, red and green reminds me of Holly.

White is very Christmasy.  It's the old myth of a white Christmas.  I know plenty of places have white Christmas every year, but where I live, it's extremely unlikely!  Even so, Christmas images always have snow.

Gold and red are often paired together in Christmas colour schemes, they just go so well and I really love the contrast of it in this tartan.

I think another reason tartans of these colours remind me of Christmas is Shortbread.  Every Christmas, my Gran would come and stay for a few nights, even though she only lived a few minutes away.  There were certain treats that appeared every Christmas with her.  Newberry Fruits by Meltis were sugar covered fruit jellies with a little sweet liquid in the middle.  Chocolate covered brazil nuts and Shortbread....  The shortbread always came in a red tartan tin.

If you want to look at my Christmas Tartan pinterest board, you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspiration: Eggs

When it comes to Easter, chocolate eggs are the first thing many think of.  Certainly I love them!  Eggs are a symbol of fertility and acros...