Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Inspiration: Don't Panic

Don't Panic

For people of a certain age who like science fiction those words are very evocative.  It should be written in large friendly letters.  The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a fictional book that Douglas Adams named his classic after.  It is believed the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy outsold the much more detailed and accurate Encyclopedia Galactica in part because it was cheaper but also because of those nice reassuring letters on it's cover.

One day my husband decided to watch the first episode of the old TV series and Don't Panic was the first thing that came to mind and I just knew I needed to do a piece inspired by this phrase.  When I think of the book, I can still see the front cover of the copy I was loaned by some family friends.  It was very bright and different to any other book covers I had.  Definitely influenced by psychedelia....  

The artists of this edition in 1979 were Hipgnosis and Ian Wright.  Hipgnosis was an art collective who primarily designed album covers with the most famous probably being Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  Ian Wright is an illustrator who also has many album covers in his portfolio, including a picture of Grandmaster Flash made using salt to mimic lines of Cocaine for the track White Lines.  I guess it isn't surprising this cover made such an impact on me and was so different.  

When I created the design I knew I wanted the background to reference this psychedelic style that is almost a little too much to look at and take in...  I knew that using transparent beads can give a really interesting effect where colours can merge a little and actually grow stronger when looked at from an angle rather than straight on.  It's easier to discern the hard lines of the pattern from a distance and an angle than it is close up and looking straight on.  I love this effect, so I knew I wanted to use these beads and a 70s style swirl was perfect.

The bracelet has come to mean more to me than just that book however.  There is something very calming and reassuring about those words.  They recognise that you are panicing which is the first step to calming down...

I am not one to panic generally but it's been a difficult year.  I have been out very little not just because of lockdowns but because I really do understand that as a larger lady with asthma and a variety of other slightly irritating health conditions, I probably wouldn't do too well if I got Covid.  My husband likes me to get out a little though, so we go to the supermarket together, which is fine...  I like to go in the evening when there are fewer people and it's easier to maintain your distance.

On one such trip, we met a friend who had only recently had Covid and was still a little under the weather with a bit of a cough left.  Afterwards I just wanted to get the shop done as quickly as possible and get out.  It only got worse over time until I left my husband and went back to the car.  I can safely say it's the only time I have had a full blown panic attack.  Honestly, I don't know how my husband does it...  as a frontline healthworker he has spent the last year working with people with Covid.  I have nothing but respect for all those people who have worked directly with Covid, knowing al the risks and managed to keep their heads straight.

Don't Panic is now my going to the supermarket bracelet of choice.

If you want to see pictures of Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, Hipgnosis and Ian Wright's Artwork and Don't Panic inspired things on pinterest, go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspiration: Eggs

When it comes to Easter, chocolate eggs are the first thing many think of.  Certainly I love them!  Eggs are a symbol of fertility and acros...