Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Photoshoot: Summer Solstice


Central to the Summer Solstice, is the sun.  This sun catcher is one my husband brought while we were in Canada a few years back, in Nova Scotia.

In front of it is a little sun brooch.  It's one I have had since I was pretty young.  My Gran used to go to the Darby and Joan club in her village and one time she took me to a tabletop sale there.  I don't know who donated the brooch and so I have no idea of it's story or age, but on that day, it became mine.  It's not in any fancy metal with a makers mark.  I doubt I will ever let it go, but I like to think when I am old, it will pass in to the hands of a young child.

I had to look up Darby and Joan and I discovered that they were an idealised couple, living out the latter years of their lives in quiet contentment together.  Social clubs for older people are still often called Darby and Joan clubs.

I wanted some artwork for the photo and I choose this lovely design by Mycelium23.  I brought several cards, so I am sure they will feature in the future too.  I like the idea of exploring the year as we go.  It's a bright happy picture!  I think my favourite is the Halloween one though!  I love Halloween...  Any holiday with fancy dress and sweets is bound to be great as far as I am concerned...

The bag on the left is from SupaChicDesigns and was something we very much needed right now.  My husband's daily work routine has changed a fair bit over the last few months as infection control has become so important.  He goes to and from work in his own clothes, carrying his uniform in a fabric bag he was gifted by some of the many wonderful volunteers who have been crafting away to make bags and masks.  When he gets home, the bag goes in the washing machine and he goes in the shower.  One bag is often not enough though when he has a run of shifts, so I decided to get him a second one.   The card came with the bag :-)

I hope with everything going on that we continue to stay safe and well, that one day, we get to go to a Darby and Joan club together.  Right now, the sun is shining and everything is good in my little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspiration: Eggs

When it comes to Easter, chocolate eggs are the first thing many think of.  Certainly I love them!  Eggs are a symbol of fertility and acros...