Thursday, June 18, 2020

Photoshoot: Light Combined


I had thought of basing this on the primary and secondary colours of the wheel but instead I ended up using a primary and a secondary and the tertiary that lies between them.  Roughly speaking...

One issue I have with some colours, is not that that I do not have anything in that colour but that the things I have are too big or unsuitable.  Teal for instance is a colour I love and one I needed for this photoshoot.  I have a bunch of teal in my house, concentrated in our bedroom.  Duvet set, sheets, pillows, curtain and even one of those printed fabric hangings.  That's why the item in the top right is a pillow case. 

It's a lovely set of bedding from Dunelm Mill.  Luxurious.  The underside is cotton but the top is velvety, or velour?  I am not sure of the difference.  It was actually my husband that spotted it and it was an instant love for both of us because of the colour.

On top is a piece of patchwork I made by hand, because I am not really sure about sewing machines...  yet...  My Mum liked to do machine quilting and she was part of a local group that would put on these days she would take me to.  There would be five or six groups so you could do different things.  Generally there would be something that did not require great sewing skills.  One time I learnt Kuminho and another time I learnt how to make thee little quilted blocks from a circle and a square.  Pretty sure it was Japanese.  Afterwards I made two of these mats.

My husband and I have grown in confidence the more we have travelled.  The first time we went to Canada to stay with friends we booked all our flights with one provider and travelled all the way to Heathrow for the privilege of direct flights.  Last time we went, we flew from Bristol, which is much closer and the parking is a lot cheaper.  We have found that if we are willing to do a little transfer on the continent, it may delay us a couple of hours but reduces the price considerably.  

It's been a good thing.  We like food.  Our transfers have allowed us to buy chocolates in Brussels, sausages in Germany and stroopwaffels in Amsterdam.  We had frankfurters for breakfast in Frankfurt and Kroketten in Amsterdam.  Kroketten are delicious potato filled croquettes which also had some tasty meat and cheese inside.  In Amsterdamm we also brought a set of fridge magnets, two of which are in this photo, centre back.

On the left is a glass vase that was my Nana's.  I don't know anything about it, except it has attractive swirls of colour and I really don't ever want to have to give it a good clean inside...

The dish in front of it is from Malta where they have a long history of glassmaking stretching back to the Phoenicians.  We visited the Craft Village at Ta'Qali and had a pleasant time wandering around.  I don't know the name of the glass shop we visited but we enjoyed it.  They had a seconds area and we picked up a couple of things in there too...  I am sure they will feature in a photoshoot!  This dish, I think must have come from that shop, but I am not really sure, it is a few years back.  We may have brought it in Valetta otherwise.

I added some silver foil lined beads in various colours from my bead stash for some extra sparkle and colour.  I think these all came from a friend who was reducing the size of her bead stash before moving.  She always says buying beads and making things with them are two different hobbies....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspiration: Eggs

When it comes to Easter, chocolate eggs are the first thing many think of.  Certainly I love them!  Eggs are a symbol of fertility and acros...