Monday, May 18, 2020

I Love... Pretty Much Everything...

I was one of those children, hated sports and loved science and maths.  It isn't surprising that I was strongly encouraged towards science and engineering when it came time to choose subjects at school.  I loved art too but it was not a priority and when I became ill with Glandular Fever and was struggling to keep up, art was the one that fell by the wayside.  I have always regretted this and on my list of things to do one day, is Art GCSE.

I went on to study Physics at University but didn't get far.  As a mature student I moved to Cornwall and studied Environmental Science.  The connection to the natural world was infinitely more interesting to me.  I am fascinated by the world around me and I loved the jack of all trades type of science required for my studies.

Studying left little time for picking up the fallen strings of art in my life but once I graduated, I slowly turned to craft as a hobby.  It began when I did an evening class on jewellery making and from there I went on to learn bead weaving.  I started to explore other crafts too, such as felting.

I started making dream catchers as I found them a really good platform for exploring and bringing together all sorts of techniques and materials.  There are undertones of the little girl who made mad constructions from paper and card and overtones of engineering.

When I was doing my A-Levels, I was given the opportunity to do a City and Guilds in AutoCAD.  CAD, or Computer Aided Draughting, is an industry standard programme used in all sorts of engineering applications.  This has been an infinitely useful thing to learn and a key part of several of my job roles over the years.  In order to complete the course we had to learn the ins and outs of technical drawing and complete geometrical challenges, as well as learning the software itself.  At school, I loved geometry.  It was probably my favourite part of maths.  

What I want to do with this blog is bring together al the things I love...  Natural World, Science, Maths, Art, Crafts...  All of it.  I am going to use my skills to draw patterns, some of them based on the world around me, others born of the love of pattern.   I am going to use these patterns to create and encourage others to do so as well.  And I am going to write about them and all sorts of other things that inspire me as well...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspiration: Eggs

When it comes to Easter, chocolate eggs are the first thing many think of.  Certainly I love them!  Eggs are a symbol of fertility and acros...